Share hope with others!

Thursday, June 7, 2012

"What faith can do"


THE WORD:
And Jesus answered them, “Truly, I say to you, if you have faith and do not doubt, you will not only do what has been done to the fig tree, but even if you say to this mountain, ‘Be taken up and thrown into the sea,’ it will happen. And whatever you ask in prayer, you will receive, if you have faith.”
Matthew 21:21-22 

DEVOTION:
Some people have started to minimize the power of prayer. They have stopped appreciating it when people offer to pray for their needs and hurts, because they feel that praying is useless. They want more than what people have to offer. They want healing right away. They want their pain to be disappear instantly.

But Jesus says that when we pay, we must have faith and believe that God will answer our prayers. When I was a child and I first heard this verse, I wondered if I could ever have a faith strong enough to move mountains. But there's usually that little seed of doubt in my head that smears the faith in my prayers.

We need to start praying with more faith, and believe that God is powerful enough to save us. When I was 17, there were three times when I almost died when I was admitted to the hospital for my illness. My parents had all our families and friends praying for us, and those friends asked their churches, their other friends, and their schools to pray for me. I had so many people I didn't know praying for my recovery - and then it happened that God brought healing to me - and the doctors called it a miracle. I wasn't supposed to live, to be able to walk, or to talk…but I had a full recovery.

Sometimes we pray earnestly to God and we don't get the answer that we want. Remember that God answers earnest prayers with three responses: "Yes", "Not Yet", or "I have something better in mind."

So when someone offers to pray for you, don't dismiss it. Instead, ask them if they can pray for you with so much faith it is strong enough to move the pain away from your body and your heart.  

PRAYER:
Dear God, you are Healer and Father. I thank you for bringing people into my life who are willing to pray for me. I am sorry for when I have doubted in the power of prayer. I ask that You help grow my faith so that all my prayers will be free of doubt, so that I may receive Your blessings in Your timing.

APPLICATION:
How is your prayer life with God? Do you pray to Him regularly, or just pop in to say hello when you need something? Pray regularly, attend church, and find an inspiring Christian friend who can help your faith increase.

WORSHIP:
"What faith can do" - Kutless

Everybody falls sometimes
Gotta find the strength to rise
From the ashes
And make a new beginning

Anyone can feel the ache
You think it's more than you can take
But you're stronger
Stronger than you know

Don't you give up now
The sun will soon be shining
You gotta face the clouds
To find the silver lining

I've seen dreams that move the mountains
Hope that doesn't ever end
Even when the sky is falling
I've seen miracles just happen
Silent prayers get answered
Broken hearts become brand new
That's what faith can do



2 comments:

  1. I was blessed to find this blog! I am a quadriplegic struggling with many issues. It is hard to see God's blessings in the midst of our tribulations. Thank you for the exhortation to pray. Jesus said don't tire of praying and gave the parable of the widow and the judge. Right now I'm doing a word study on the word "hope" in the Bible. Our blessed hope is the only sure thing, our solid rock among the sand that is in this Earth!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nicky! I am so glad to be connected with you and that you found this blog! Thanks for sharing part of your story- and I ask God that He continue to be a strong presence in your life, and that you can still continue to bless His name through the ups and downs of life.

      Let me know more about your word study on "hope" in the Bible! I have a FB group called HOPE - Helping Other Patients Everywhere, as well as a FB page for it, and one for this particular blog - Hope for the Spirit (same name).

      Also, I don't know if you ever read this author - but we just started a FB book club while reading the book "A Place of Healing" by Joni Earekson Tada, who is also a paraplegic and has recently been diagnosed with cancer. This book is currently on sale on amazon (it was free before but i guess they are increasing the price) - i am only in the second chapter but there is also some great inspirational stuff! If you would like to be part of it too - or get connected with some other HOPE'rs on FB, you can click here

      Here's one of Joni's quotes from her book that I would like to share with you:
      "To this point, as I pen this chapter, He has chosen not to heal me, but to hold me. The more intense the pain, the closer His embrace. That's one of the truths I'd like to speak to, God helping me, in the following pages."

      Blessings

      https://www.facebook.com/groups/329503300464325/

      Delete