Share hope with others!

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

"Blessings in Disguise"


    THE WORD:
    "I know how to live on almost nothing or with everything. I have learned the secret of living in every situation, whether it is with a full stomach or empty, with plenty or little. For I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength."
    Philippians 4:12-13 

    DEVOTION:
    If the trials of life came with a note from God about all the blessings it will bring about, would we be able to endure them better? Would we be more willing to be content in whatever circumstance life puts us in?

    In his letter to the Philippians, Paul describes about how he has learned the "secret of living in every situation." What is this secret? Wouldn't we all benefit from knowing this secret? Life is a journey of mountains and valleys, storms and rain. The secret of being able to endure whatever life throws at you is knowing that you can do everything through Christ who strengthens you (4:13). Christ endured the worst of it all - the flogging, the mocking, the nails on the cross…Jesus also asked God if He could take away this cup of suffering, but because this was all part of God's plan to save the world through His son, God allowed it all to take place.

    When we are in the midst of trials and pain in our lives, we can also rest assure that God is in control. God can use storms in our lives to move us from one place to another, and use it according to His plan. Remember the story of Joseph, and how his brothers sold him into slavery out of their jealousy. Joseph was even thrown into prison because he refused to fall into sin and have an affair with Potiphar's wife. But while he was in prison, he was able to interpret Pharaoh's dream and thus saved Egypt and other countries from starvation. When Joseph's brothers saw him again, he said, "You intended to harm me, but God intended it all for good. He brought me to this position so I could save the lives of many people" (Genesis 50:20).

    Joseph couldn't have seen what God's hand was doing during his time in prison, probably expecting to die at any time. In the children's movie, "Joseph, King of Dreams," Joseph sings a song while in prison, a song that describes how Christians can face their trials:

    If this has been a test
    I cannot see the reason
    But maybe knowing I don't know
    is part of getting through
    I tried to do what's best
    But faith has made it easy
    To see the best thing i can do
    Is to put my trust in You.

    For, You know better than I
    You know the way
    I've let go the need to know why
    I'll take what answers you supply
    You know better than I

    Sometimes it's hard to persist through trials when we can't see what it will bring to us, but as Paul says, we can do everything through Christ who strengthens us, and He gives us the strength and patience to persevere.

    Joseph Addison said, “Our real blessings often appear to us in the shape of pains, losses, and disappointments; but let us have patience, and we soon shall see them in their proper figures.”

    Looking back on my life, I see that the greatest storms in my life has brought me the greatest blessings:

  1. When I was 17, I was diagnosed with a rare and incurable neurological disease called central nervous system vasculitis. While I was recovering, my mom urged me to move to the west coast so I can leave stressful family situations behind. In the west coast, I found a great university to attend and eventually met the love of my life who became my husband.

  2. When I was 23, I was getting ready to move back to the east coast to attend graduate school but then my illness returned. My husband and I decided to stay in the Seattle area where he eventually found a job he loved that provided great stability and security for our family that we did not expect to have at this time.

  3. Later in 2011, my illness returned again and I was hospitalized for three weeks. This flare up encouraged me to start using my story to encourage others who also live with an illness and encourage those with daily struggles. I started the HOPE support group, my HOPE blog and grew a bigger heart for others.

  4. Blessings can come in many disguises…we just need to be patient until God can reveal what the blessings are. We are not God and therefore we are not omniscient. As mere humans we have a limited perspective on our lives and that makes us feel like that the trial we are going through is all we'll ever see. Some people face trials until their last breath and the blessings are not revealed until they are gone. There is one girl, Lauren Currie, who died from vasculitis also at the age of 17. But God has brought blessings through the legacy she has left behind. In her honour, Lauren's parents started the Lauren Currie Twilight Foundation to research and spread awareness about this rare disease.

    So during the pains, losses and disappointments, don't give up hope because God is always in control - and while we wait for His blessings to reveal themselves, we have Christ who strengthens us to persevere.

    PRAYER
    Dear God, You know everything in my life before I even know it. Help me to trust in Your wisdom and plans for me in every situation I am in. Please give me strength and perseverance to endure whatever trials I need to go through to end up where You want me to be. 

    APPLICATION
    Looking back on your life, can you see any trials in your life that were blessings in disguise? Do you believe that you can survive anything through Christ who strengthens you? Why or why not?

    WORSHIP:
    "Blessings" by Laura Story

    "What if trials of this life
    The rain, the storms, the hardest nights
    Are your mercies in disguise"







No comments:

Post a Comment